Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Back to Reality. East Side Santa Cruz

Mark is all rested up from surfing 6 days in a row at Tavarua and ready to get in the water again.  Since it is too soon for another exotic surfing trip (bummer!), we will be heading off to Santa Cruz one day this weekend.  I have been going to Santa Cruz just about every weekend with Mark since I met him.  It is about an hour and 15 minute drive from our home.  Some days he surfs the East Side and other days the West Side.  As a non-surfer is there a better area for me?  I like them both.  A lot of it depends on the weather.  Today I'll focus on the East side.


The East Side is closer to Capitola.  It is where he surfs mostly in the summer months.  Mark could easily give you an explanation why he prefers it more in the summer months, but I have no real idea why.  I think it might be something to do with the directions the waves are coming in, better surf east side in the summer, better on the west side in the winter.  But don't quote me on that....I could be very wrong!  I only know it from the non-surfer point of view. 


So what do I do when he is in the water?  Well I don't spend all my time watching him.  I always walk him to where ever he is getting into the water.  That is ritual and I would feel I was jinxing his day if I didn't.  After that, it really depends on the weather and tide.  Part of the ritual is asking him what time high tide is.  If it is a lower tide and the sun is shining, you will find me at the little cove beach at the end of 38th Avenue at East Cliff Ave. I love being there.  I bring a sand chair, my book and I am in heaven.  It is great for people watching.  In the summer months there are a lot more families but in September and through May, if the weather is nice you'll see a lot of college aged kids there from UC Santa Cruz. 
Mark and one of dog's at Santa Cruz - East side during low tide


The beach itself is pretty clean.  There is no actual garbage can on the beach because of the tides.  I've seen the waves hit all the way up to the beach that would cause any garbage cans that may be left on the beach to be washed out to sea. To Pack your Trash!  There are always beach goers or beach walkers with dogs on this little beach, an everyone is pretty good about cleaning up after their pets.  If it is a really low tide I love bringing one of our dogs.  You can walk at least 1/2 mile on the beach during a low tide.  There are signs posting that dogs need to be on a leash, but I've seen lots of them (in fact most of them) off leash either chasing balls or sticks along the beach or into the water.  Some of the dogs are born water dogs and it is really great to see them running out into the surf over and over again chasing a ball.  There is a garbage can at the top of the stair case with extra dog poo bags in case you forgot to bring one.  If you bring your dog, please make sure to clean up after it so the beach stays a great beach. 


If the tide is too high to get down the stairs to the beach, I walk.  If you head out walking west on East Cliff Ave, there is a little market which used to be called Elizabeth's.  There is a new owner who change the name to The Point Market.  It is the only place I have found in Santa Cruz to get a poppy seed muffin.  It's a Costco poppy seed muffin, but still one of my favorites.  They also serve a good breakfast burrito prepared in their kitchen along with other items.  There is some seating and everyone there always seems open to conversation.  There is also a small mini mart type market.  If you are a little bit car sick they do carry ginger ale.



At the end of this block is a little area with a few picnic tables and a great view.  It is a much quieter area than the beach if you just want to sit and watch the ocean.  Not a lot to do there expect relax.  


From 38th Ave if you head out to the left on East Cliff Drive, there are a few more options.  If Mark surfs at Sharks (a popular surfing spot and no he hasn't seen a shark there), I get a good view of him.  The spot I watch him from is right in front of another surfing area called the Hook.  The picnic area where I watch him from is also call the hook. It is another great spot to talk with other surfers.  I have also met people from all over the world who have stopped there to see the action. Or maybe they are just stopping there because it's where the public bathrooms are located.  Oh and they are nice bathrooms.  Not gross or have weirdos hanging around.  I'm very picky about restrooms and these are okay.


Keep following the road as it turns into 41st Ave and you get into town.  There are a few surf shops, skate board shops, coffee houses, restaurants, used clothing stores and some other shops.  While she isn't my optometrist there is one who has an office and is really nice.  They have a good selection of sunglasses and will talk surf with you if she isn't with a client.    If you keep going on of my favorite places for a breakfast burrito is there on the right.  It is called "Chill Out" .  It is the place painted red.  Don't hesitate to go in for breakfast.  If you don't see if fixed the way you want it on the menu, go ahead and ask for it the way you want it.  They are huge breakfast burritos but I always manage to eat the whole thing.


Keep walking and you'll hit a few small strip malls that include a CVS and a Whole Foods.  Keep going a bit further and you'll hit O’Neil’s surf shop.  I think most of our wetsuits have come from there when they have their twice yearly sales.  Their sample sale is really cool and you can find some O'Neil clothing that you won't see in the stores.


Walk a bit further and you'll be at Capitola Mall.  I've done the mileage and it is about a mile walk if you have parked your car at 38th Ave.  Of course if you walk around the mall you'll add a bit more distance.  Plus some weight exercises if you have to carry whatever you bought back to the car!


Someday I will do the even longer walk down to the adorable town of Capitola.  While we have driven there and had dinner, I've never made the walk.  I know it is doable, I just haven't.  Not this weekend....I hear the weather is going to be good and the beach is calling.  I need one day in the sun to re-charge my fast fading Tavarua tan.  See you at the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment